September 29, 2016

Bees love moonflowers at dusk

Next to the back of our house there is a patch of moonflowers that I cut back every year and they grow back stronger and more expansive every summer.  By September they have taken over the entire bed that they grow in and my husband has to mow the edges to keep them from coming out into the yard!

I went out to see the blooms open a few nights ago as the sun was setting.  They are perfect, lovely iridescent white flowers that close during the hottest, brightest part of the day then open again when it cools and the light softens.

What I didn't expect was the swarm of bees ecstatically bathing in the moonflowers' pollen.  What a hum they made as they passed from blossom to blossom covering their little bodies with fairy dust!  Watch a video of it I made on YouTube.









No comments:

Post a Comment