September 29, 2015

Chicken dinner


I roasted our chicken tonight. First I made a mix of butter, garlic and honey. 


I rubbed our guy down in this and a heathy serving of salt and pepper.  Then he looked like this:


He went into the oven at 375 degrees. My recipe said he should cook for 15-20 minutes/pound, which would only be about 40 minutes for our little guy. He actually cooked much longer though. When he came out he looked beautiful!  


The honey in the glaze made the skin brown and crispy. Now I have to admit that the meat was a little underwhelming. The legs and wings were the darkest dark meat I have ever seen. The breast meat was juicy and delicious but there wasn't a whole lot of it. We aren't raising broilers here so oh well. We ate what we wanted and the rest I am boiling down now with the carcass to make soup tomorrow. The broth looks rich and  yummy. 

  
Along with the chicken we had green beans from the garden, probably my last harvest of the year. 


I also made roasted potatoes and my mother in law brought some corn bread with jalapeƱos. All in all, it was a pretty good meal. 


And for dessert we had an apple pie made from apples we picked at my sister in law's house in Michigan. It was the crown jewel of the meal!


No comments:

Post a Comment