June 17, 2016

A beautiful birthday gift

My birthday was on Wednesday, and I had had a nice day of celebrations but the chores must still be done.  So around 9 pm I went out to close up the chickens.  It had been storming quite intensely and was still drizzling so I had my raincoat on and my head down.  When I passed the workshop and got out to the coop, I looked up and was stopped in my tracks by this sight: a perfect, richly colored double rainbow.




It was absolutely beautiful.  I felt immediately filled with gratitude for such a gift to finish my birthday.

I also felt my mom's presence whispering, "happy birthday cupcake."

The first time I saw a spectacular rainbow like this over our home was on the day that she passed from this earth so every time I see one now it feels like a sign that she's still here, that she wants me to know she's watching over me.

As the rainbow began to fade in the east, the sun was fading in the west, bathing the house in a golden glow.  My stepson came outside to see what was keeping me and marveled, "wow, it looks like heaven."


The golden light faded and the clouds were painted like a rich watercolor scene with shades of pink and purple.


The wet driveway acted like a mirror for the sky.  Truly spectacular.


"Look for me in Rainbows"

Time for me to go now, I won't say goodbye;
Look for me in rainbows, way up in the sky.
In the morning sunrise when all the world is new,
Just look for me and love me, as you know I loved you.

Time for me to leave you, I won't say goodbye;
Look for me in rainbows, high up in the sky.
In the evening sunset, when all the world is through,
Just look for me and love me, and I'll be close to you.

It won't be forever, the day will come and then
My loving arms will hold you, when we meet again.

Time for us to part now, we won't say goodbye;
Look for me in rainbows, shining in the sky.
Every waking moment, and all your whole life through
Just look for me and love me, as you know I loved you.

Just wish me to be near you,
And I'll be there with you.

Music and lyrics: Conn Bernard (1990). Vicki Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment