June 15, 2016

Mint Wine in the Making

After Rita and I siphoned our Dandelion Wine over into a new carboy, I was so excited about our brewing adventures that I decided to start a new project: Mint Wine.  I went out into the herb garden and filled a colander with all the varieties of mint growing there: Apple Mint, Pineapple Mint, Spearmint, and Chocolate Mint. 


I brought them inside and rinsed them clean.  It was so fragrant in my kitchen!

Meanwhile, I brought about a gallon of water to a boil.


I added three cups of sugar and stirred until it was thoroughly dissolved.


Now I had my syrup.  


To that, I added the mint leaves.  I pushed them under until they were saturated then left it alone until it cooled to near room temperature. 


The air was full of freshness at this point!  It almost smelled like I had rubbed Vicks Vapor Rub on my chest.  I stood over the pot inhaling the minty-ness. 

When it was cooled enough, I threw in a couple teaspoons of yeast then covered it with a damp towel.

I left the mash on the counter for three days, stirring daily and re-dampening the cloth.  After three days it looked like this...


I strained out the leaves and my remaining liquid had turned a rich golden color.  


It wasn't incredibly bubbly so I decided to add a little more yeast.  I mixed this in then poured it into my sterilized carboy.  I set the airlock in place and now I wait.

My counter is getting crowded.  I have Dandelion Wine from April, Honeysuckle Wine from May and now Mint Wine from June.  I wonder: what will July bring??


No comments:

Post a Comment