June 20, 2016

Broccoli time!

Yesterday I harvested a whole head of broccoli - my first time ever trying this veggie fresh from the garden.

I thought it looked like a bouquet when I brought it inside. Soju, my mini schnauzer, was looking at it longingly too!


I sautéed it in a little olive oil with salt pepper then sprinkled a bit of grated cheese on it while it was hot.  It was delicious!

Today I tried a different method. Instead of cutting off the entire head, I used a serrated knife and carefully cut florets off lots of different heads. This should allow the plants to keep growing and producing and me to start enjoying my harvest. 

I made honey garlic chicken for dinner tonight and I added some of the broccoli. I was cutting it into smaller pieces when this little booger popped out. 


That's a cabbage moth caterpillar. I can't stand these little critters. They have devoured my kale the last couple years and now they have moved on to my broccoli (both in the brassica family). 

The one bright spot in the situation is that the chickens ❤️❤️❤️ to eat caterpillars so they have fun when I start tossing them over the fence. 


No comments:

Post a Comment