August 6, 2016

A fresh-from-the-garden lunch


I've been making a lot of lunches fresh from the garden lately.  I like to go out late morning and pick a few things to use.  On the day, it included several ears of corn, a carrot, a zucchini, several tomatoes and a small bunch of basil.  

I cut the kernels off the corn and sliced the rest of the items into similar sized pieces.  I have found adding a little chicken sausage to the vegetables gives a huge flavor boost.  Everything goes into a large casserole dish.  A bit of olive oil, salt and pepper are mixed in, and it goes into the oven at 425 degrees.  I pull it out and give it a good stir every 10-15 minutes until the veggies are softened and the sausage starts to brown.  At about 40 minutes I add some big chunks of goat cheese here and there and stick it back in for another 5-10 minutes.  

When you pull it out, the cheese is melty and soft, giving a creaminess to the dish.  

You can't beat food like this - grown with love by my own hands on our own land, freshly picked, then prepared simply and eaten hot... while enjoying a view of the chickens roaming in the sunshine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment