August 14, 2016

A fresh take on leftover rice


I made beans and rice the other night for my family and it was a big hit.  Somehow I always end up with leftover rice when I do meals like that so I went out to the garden the next day to get some ideas on what to do with my leftovers.

This is what I came back in with: corn, tomatoes, patty pan squash, hot and sweet peppers.  


I cut all these up - except the tomatoes - and put them in my skillet with the rice, olive oil, and garlic.  I cooked the mixture for a couple minutes, until the veggies softened and the rice warmed up.


Meanwhile, I prepared my toppings.  I chopped up the tomatoes, grated some leftover Monterey Jack, sliced up an extra avocado and chopped some fresh cilantro.  


When my rice mixture was done, I plated some up and loaded on my fresh toppings.  Oh boy, was this a great lunch!  It was spicy and fresh.  There's nothing like straight-from-the-garden veggies to breathe new life into leftovers.


No comments:

Post a Comment