July 1, 2015

First cucumbers make for a beautiful summer lunch


Cucumbers!

My cucumber plants are full of flowers

The first three cucumbers are Edmonson variety

A gorgeous summer lunch:
salad of tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, basil, oil, and rice wine vinegar
paired with homemade bread topped with butter and swiss cheese

Beans are starting to flower too
I harvested my first few cucumbers this morning.  The Edmonson plants were the first to bear.  They are a light, crisp cucumber with a bumpy skin.  I brought the little cucumbers straight to the kitchen and sliced them up with some ripe tomatoes, flavorful basil from my herb garden, a little onion, and a dressing of rice wine vinegar and olive oil.  It was delightful with a few slices of my homemade bread topped with butter and swiss cheese.  I was surprised when I went out to pick some basil that it is growing huge.  This afternoon I think I'm going to pull some more and make some pesto to freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment