May 24, 2016

Honeysuckle wine continues

The honeysuckle wine adventure continues...  (read the beginning of the project on my post from 5.20.16)

After three days of sitting, my mash was ready to be strained.  This is what it looked like.


The raisins were really swollen and the petals had started to disintegrate.  

I poured it into a large strainer set over a clean pot.  The solids I threw into our kitchen scrap collection for the chickens.  The liquid that I was left with was a sunny golden yellow.  I set my funnel into my sterilized carboy and poured the liquid in.  


It was fizzy - a good sign: fermentation is active.


Using our reverse osmosis system for good, clean water, I filled the rest of the carboy up to the top.  This made the color a little less vibrant.


Then I set the airlock in place, labeled it, and set it aside to work.  My dandelion wine is still fizzing away so I guess I've got some more time to wait before I siphon that one over.




Next I'm thinking Mint Wine because my Apple Mint is taking over the world in the herb garden.  Yesterday I threw a huge heap of it in the chicken run to freshen the air, but I could stand to pull out a lot more.

Anyone have any other homemade wine recipes to share?  Leave a comment if you've tried something unique - I'd love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment