I have been busy busy this last week at this transition time in my garden. The sunflowers reached the point of no return from all the storms and had to be taken down. The corn and cucumbers finished up and saw a final harvest and clearing of the plants. And some of my tomatoes seemed to have pattered out and I removed them as well. The garden is looking clean and ready for a new round of plants as we move towards a little cooler weather at the end of this month.
Despite losing most of my plants, I was able to harvest a cooler full of ears. We had some for lunch and dinner the next day, gave away a little, and the rest I made into corn relish. Here's a look into the huge mess I made in the process:
Started with all that corn I had to shuck.
One of the dogs was watching me longingly so I let her have a small ear that hadn't developed much. She picked it clean!
Here's all the cleaned corn, which then had to be cut off the cob. Here's the really messy part!
It's hard to tell from the picture but I had corn kernels everywhere: all over the counter, floor, backsplash, somehow over into the next room...
It boiled then simmered for about 20 minutes and finally it was ready for the jars. Once packed, I processed the jars for 10 minutes and ended up with this loveliness:
I can't wait to try it. I think it was worth getting corn on every surface of my kitchen!