June 21, 2015

Cucumber beetles

I'm fighting a new scourge: cucumber beetles on my melons and cucumbers. I found these little sticky traps online that have a pheromone sack in the middle to draw the bugs in, along with the bright yellow that they love. They've only been up about a half hour and I've caught several dozen beetles already. I also filled several yellow bowls with soapy water and set them around the base of the plants. I read that they are attracted to the yellow and then get stuck in the soapy water and drown. I have one beautiful little cantaloupe on the vine now and several tiny cucumbers. I dearly hope  I can discourage these bugs so I won't lose my plants like I did with the cabbage loopers...

Cantaloupe

Watermelon

My first tiny cantaloupe

Cucumber beetles stuck to my trap

No comments:

Post a Comment