June 13, 2015

Pickled Beets

Beets fresh from the garden get boiled first to take the skins off.

Once the skins are off, you cut them up a little.

Meanwhile, you set your brine to boil.

Here's the recipe I used, from "Canning for a New Generation" (Krissoff)


Finished product.
I took the beets I pulled from the garden yesterday and made my first jar of pickled beets.  They were small so I didn't try to cut them into slices, just diced them up a little.  I also mixed all three types of beets together since I didn't have a whole lot of any one kind.  They made a beautiful display of reds, yellows and oranges when I peeled them!  How spectacular!  And the brine smelled wonderful while it was boiling: sweet and spicy all at the same time.  Since it was just one jar I didn't bother sealing it in the water bath.  Those beets won't last long in the refrigerator.  I'm giving them a week or so to soak in the flavors of the brine then I'll enjoy a few good lunches and they'll be all gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment